BACKYARD BBQ CONTEST
RULES & REGULATIONS
A contestant or team consists of ONE chief cook and no more than four assistants.Contestants may check into the Backyard BBQ contest grounds beginning at 4pm on Friday night June 28th 2019. Contestants must be ready to cook by 9am on Saturday June 29th 2019.
All Competitors will be giving ALL MEAT as part of the REGISTRATION FEE. No other Meat will be allowed in the competition. Any pre marinated, rubbed or pre-cooked meat will have the team DISQUALIFIED.
BACKYARD BBQ Entry fee is $100.00 - Pay the entry fee before June 10th 2019 and save $50.00 !!!!
Teams will receive enough meat for the following categories :
A. CHICKEN B. BRISKET C. RIBS
You will be giving enough meat for 50 people choice awards samples and 5 judge dishes
You may cook with sauce but DO NOT ADD SAUCE, Marinade or juice to the meat or container once the Meat is prepared for judging
The only items you are allowed to bring on site is your NON COOKED ITEM for the BEST SIDE DISH CATEGORY.Best side dish item has to be raw and cooked on site. A member of the Backyard BBQ Committee will INSPECT all Side Dish Items before you start cooking them
Cooks are to prepare and cook barbecue in as sanitary a manner as possible
Cooking conditions are subject to inspection by the Backyard BBQ Committee or State Health Inspectors. Conditions found to be UNSANITARY will be grounds for disqualifications from the cook off. Fires must be wood or wood substance Preferred. Gas or Electric Fires are allowed. Precautions MUST be made to prevent any fire threat. All Teams must have at least ONE fire Extinguisher on site.
Contest meats must be delivered to the designated judging locations.Contest meats will be judged on Saturday June 29th 2019 (see schedule). A cooks meeting will be held on Saturday at 8:45am for explanation of the rules, any additional instructions and to confirm turn in times for each category.
Winners will be Announced Saturday Evening at 6:30pm
BLIND JUDGING - You will Receive One (1) tray per category.Each of these trays will be numbered so that the judges do not know which team’s food they are tasting
All cooking Teams will also be judged for PEOPLE’S CHOICE.Backyard BBQ will sell Tasting Wristbands or Badges for those that want to participate in judging the People’s Choice Category. Each tea will make sufficient meat samples to be passed out in Small Samples before each category is judged. You should have samples of the categories you enter. Voting tickets will be distributed with each wristband or badge. Each team will be provided with a BALLOT BOX and must display in their competition area. Backyard BBQ Committee member will pick up the ballot box by 5pm on Saturday June 29th 2019.
BBQ RULES CONT:
Prize Money and trophies will be awarded as follows
|Category||1st Place||2nd Place||3rd Place|
|Best Side Dish||$100.00||$ 60.00||$ 40.00|
Trophy Will Be Given to OVERALL CHAMPION plus $500.00
An OVERALL People Choice Award will be given - Trophy & $200.00 in Cash
Overall Winner is determined by Points received by Places finished in Each category. And additional BONUS points for the People’s Choice Voting. Points for each. Category will be tallied up for TOTAL POINTS. Contestant with HIGHEST TOTAL POINTS will be Declared the OVERALL CHAMPION
POINTS will be configured the Following Way:
|Each Category Entered;|
|1st Place - 25 Points||2nd Place 15 Points||3rd Place 10 Points|
Other Rules & Regulations
- Music Or Sound Equipment is Allowed in your Team Area - However excessive loud music and or sounds will not be tolerated. Any music that interferes with the Live Bands on Stage will be asked to be turned off. Failure to Follow Backyard BBQ Judges orders will result in Disqualification
- Contest Spaces of 20x20 will be available for each team - electricity & Water will be included in these spots. All cooking facilities, rigs and props or show articles must fit in your contest space.
- The Chief Cook for each team is RESPONSIBLE for the conduct of his team, guests or invitees.
- Excessive Use of Alcoholic beverages will be grounds for disqualifications
- Contestants are NOT ALLOWED to Give, Offer, Sell or donate any Alcoholic Beverages to the General Public.
- Teams may only offer BBQ to the Public if they have purchased the BBQ TASTING Wrist Band or Badge.
- Any Offensive Conduct will be grounds for Disqualifications
- Backyard BBQ committee reserves the Right to make Additional Rules & Regulations as the situation warrants.
- Backyard BBQ Committee Members and Houlton Fair Directors or the town o Houlton, will not be held responsible for theft or damage to equipment or bodily injury of any kind.
- No Animals of Any Kind will be permitted in any contestant’s contest space nor will any animal(s) be permitted on the Fair Grounds except for Service Dogs.
- All Decisions of the Backyard BBQ Committee judges are final
Backyard BBQ Registration Form:
and mail to Houlton Fair Association, P.O.Box 1454, Houlton, ME 0473